Are you curious to know what is eTorque? You have come to the right place as I am going to tell you everything about eTorque in a very simple explanation. Without further discussion let’s begin to know what is eTorque?
The automotive industry is continuously evolving to meet the demands of consumers seeking more fuel-efficient and environmentally friendly vehicles. In this pursuit, innovations like eTorque have emerged, changing the way traditional internal combustion engines operate. In this blog, we will explore what eTorque is, how it works, and the impact it has on the automotive world.
What Is eTorque?
eTorque, short for “electric torque,” is a mild-hybrid technology introduced by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) and currently incorporated into certain vehicles produced by Stellantis, FCA’s successor company. eTorque enhances the performance and efficiency of internal combustion engines by integrating a 48-volt battery system and an electric motor-generator. This technology is primarily found in pickup trucks, SUVs, and other larger vehicles where increased torque and better fuel economy are significant priorities.
How eTorque Works?
eTorque technology operates through a combination of a traditional gasoline or diesel engine and an electric motor-generator. Here’s how it works:
- Electric Motor-Generator: eTorque-equipped vehicles have a 48-volt electric motor-generator mounted on the engine. This motor-generator serves several purposes.
- Engine Start-Stop: One of the key features of eTorque is engine start-stop functionality. When the vehicle comes to a stop, the internal combustion engine shuts off to conserve fuel. The electric motor-generator restarts the engine almost instantly when the driver releases the brake pedal, eliminating the delay experienced in non-hybrid vehicles.
- Regenerative Braking: eTorque harnesses energy during deceleration and braking, converting it into electrical energy that is stored in the 48-volt battery. This stored energy can then be used to assist the engine during acceleration, providing a power boost when needed.
- Torque Assistance: The electric motor-generator contributes torque directly to the engine’s crankshaft. This torque assistance helps improve acceleration and performance, particularly at low speeds and during heavy towing or hauling.
- Energy Recovery: The system continually monitors and optimizes power delivery, ensuring that the electric motor-generator operates efficiently and effectively.
Benefits Of eTorque
- Improved Fuel Efficiency: eTorque technology reduces fuel consumption by enabling engine start-stop functionality and enhancing overall engine efficiency.
- Enhanced Torque: The electric motor-generator provides an extra dose of torque, particularly at low speeds, making for smoother and more powerful acceleration.
- Reduced Emissions: By conserving fuel and improving engine efficiency, eTorque contributes to reducing emissions and minimizing the environmental impact of larger vehicles.
- Better Towing Capacity: The extra torque supplied by eTorque is especially beneficial for trucks and SUVs, as it enhances their towing and hauling capabilities.
- Refinement: The start-stop feature, enabled by eTorque, improves cabin comfort by reducing engine noise and vibrations when the vehicle is stationary.
Learn about many such interesting topics on doesaz.
eTorque In The Automotive Industry
eTorque represents a significant advancement in the automotive industry’s efforts to balance power and efficiency. As vehicle manufacturers continue to seek ways to meet stricter emissions standards and consumer demand for more eco-friendly and efficient vehicles, innovations like eTorque are instrumental in achieving these goals. While it is currently associated with Stellantis vehicles, there is potential for similar technologies to be adopted by other manufacturers in the future.
eTorque is a notable example of how innovation is reshaping the automotive industry. By seamlessly integrating electric and internal combustion power, this technology offers improved fuel efficiency, enhanced torque, and a more environmentally friendly driving experience. As the automotive world continues its journey towards sustainability and efficiency, technologies like eTorque play a crucial role in shaping the future of transportation.
How Does eTorque Work?
How Does eTorque Work? eTorque engines, like the 5.7 HEMI eTorque model, are equipped with an electric motor instead of an alternator to enhance torque delivery. The result is a mild hybrid configuration with regenerative braking capabilities.
What Are The Cons Of eTorque?
Here are the top 7 reported Ram eTorque problems:
- Ram Battery Drain. A common complaint relates to the 12-volt battery that powers the eTorque system. …
- Electric Motor Issues. …
- Software Issues with Ram eTorque. …
- Cold Weather Problems. …
- Abrupt Engine Shut-Off. …
- Ram eTorque Battery Recharging Issues. …
- eTorque Not Turning Off.
Does eTorque Make A Difference?
Your eTorque does make your engine shift smoother. During shifting, your engine is “grabbed” by the small electric motor. It slows it down to the new RPM faster and smoother while taking that energy and storing it.
Is Ram eTorque Reliable?
If you’re looking for a long term reliable vehicle I’d recommend staying away from the eTorque option. All these mild hybrids barely make a dent in fuel mileage and all seem to eventually cause problems that are expensive to solve. I’ve seen BAS systems on other vehicles and they never lived up to their promises.
I Have Covered All The Following Queries And Topics In The Above Article
What Is eTorque
What Is Ram eTorque
What Is eTorque Ram
What Is Hemi eTorque
What Is eTorque Hemi
What Is A Hemi eTorque
What Is The Hemi eTorque
What Is Dodge eTorque
What Is The eTorque Hemi
What Is An eTorque Engine
What Is The Ram eTorque
What Is The eTorque Engine
Ram eTorque Problems
What Is eTorque Ram
Is eTorque Worth It
Ram eTorque How It Works
Ram eTorque Battery Replacement Cost
Ram 1500 eTorque 2022
Ram eTorque V6
What Is eTorque